Top Ranching Heritage-Bred Horse Awards
AQHA Top Ranching Heritage-Bred Horse Awards
The AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder program spotlights the quality horses produced by AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeders. The Ranching Heritage Breeders program is designed to showcase the qualities of a working ranch horse by recognizing the top Ranching Heritage-bred horses competing at major competitions. The horse owner receives $250 and a specially created ranch-horse trophy, and the breeder also receives $250.
There is no formal entry to be eligible for the award. The horse must be bred by an AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder and must be in the current owner’s name.
Is My Horse Eligible?
Mares owned by an approved Ranching Heritage Breeder or one of their associates, at the time of breeding, will produce a Ranching Heritage Challenge eligible foal. To find out if your horse was bred by a Ranching Heritage Breeder, review this list of Ranching Heritage Breeders.
Ranching Heritage-bred horses are also eligible to compete in AQHA Ranching Heritage Challenges once fully enrolled.
AQHA presented the Ranching Heritage-Bred Horse Awards at the following events in 2021-2022:
- Allo Gallo Colonel, 2008 sorrel gelding, Gallo Del Cielo-Colonel C Hermosa by Colonel Clout; bred and owned by Mr. and Mrs. Louis A. Waters of Utopia, Texas; exhibited by Madison Outhier of Utopia, Texas.
Built Ford Tough AQHYA World Championship Show – August 1-10, Oklahoma City
- Level 1: Circle Bar Peptonita, 2014 red roan mare, Circle Bar Mr Pepto-Remember Hanna by Preferred Pay; bred by Circle Bar Ranch of Truscott, Texas; owned and exhibited by Neal Pirkle of Waco, Texas.
- Level 3: Tees Alley Cat, 2013 bay roan gelding, Metallic Cat-Hickorys Tornado Rio by Doc's Hickory; bred by Dan Churchill of Moline, Illinois; owned and exhibited by Garrett Reed of Gause, Texas.
AQHA Cowboy Mounted Shooting World Championships - October 12-16, Amarillo
- WWR Country Kingette, 2015 sorrel mare, Mr Fourty Six King-Kingsfortyeightmiss by Gists High King; bred by Greg and Elaine Gist of Austin, Texas; owned by Gerald McKelroy; exhibited by Amanda McKelroy.
Farnam AQHA World Championship Show – October 28-November 20, Oklahoma City
- Select Amateur: Big Smokin Time, 2015 buckskin stallion, Dual Spark-Big Smokin Wonder by Big As I Am; bred by Sid Miller of Stephenville, Texas; owned and exhibited by Bryan Delius of Seymour, Tennessee.
- Level 1 Amateur: Sophisticateddiamond, 2018 gray mare, Cat And Cash-Cats Dashin Diamond by Special Gun; bred by Pitchfork Cattle Operations LLC of Guthrie, Texas; owned and exhibited by Harva Leigh Lambert of Saint Louis, Missouri.
- Amateur: Ms Playgirl Blake, 2010 sorrel mare, Mr Royal Blake-Playgirl Brandy by Playgirl Lena; bred by Dave and Susan Riesland of Oshoto, Wyoming; owned and exhibited by Derald Shaw of Parker, Colorado.
- Open: Lil Trash Talk, 2015 sorrel gelding, Gunnatrashya-Dainty Little Step by Wimpys Little Step; bred by W.T. Waggoner Estate of Vernon, Texas; owned by Susan M. Van Cleve of Fredericksburg, Texas; and exhibited by Bud Lyon.