The AQHA Official Handbook of Rules and Regulations is updated yearly after undergoing careful scrutiny by AQHA. The Rulebook represents corporation bylaws, rules and regulations of registration, rules and regulations of racing, rules and regulations of shows, amateur and youth division rules and regulations, Horseback Riding Program rules, and the constitution of AQHYA.
The online version of the rulebook contains the most-updated version of the rules. Differences between rules published on AQHA's website and the print rulebook shall be governed by the official rules published on the website.
AQHA's Rulebook answers all your questions regarding AQHA rules, showing patterns, horse markings, equipment guidelines and more.
2021 Rulebook Options
2020 Rulebook Options
- Download a printable PDF version of the 2020 Rulebook.
- Download the free iOS app.
- Download the free Android app.
- Purchase a 2020 Rulebook from the American Quarter Horse Store.
New classes will be offered in 2020! After the programming for the six classes is completed in the next few weeks, the classes can be offered at AQHA-sanctioned events, once shows resumes as local, state and federal mandates are lifted.
Please note, the rules are available as a supplement to the 2020 AQHA Official Handbook Rules and Regulations. The rules are included in the 2021 rulebook.
Guidelines for Writing Proposed Rule Changes
- Define the problem and develop as many possible solutions as you can by asking others for input.
- Choose one possible solution that appears to be the most appropriate and that fits the mission and goals of AQHA.
- Determine if any other rules would be affected if your proposal were to be adopted, and specify the rule numbers.
- Submit proper wording for a proposed rule change by typing or neatly printing the exact wording being proposed. If you propose changes to existing language, strike through the words you propose to delete. Type in bold and italics the words you propose to add.
Meritorious proposed rule changes submitted with sufficient documentation and specific explanations detailing reasons for the change will be assigned to the respective committee(s) and included on AQHA’s website with an invitation for members to submit comments. Rule changes submitted without sufficient documentation and specific explanations detailing reasons for the change will not be assigned to a committee.