Top Ranching Heritage-Bred Horse Awards
AQHA Top Ranching Heritage-Bred Horse Awards
The AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder program spotlights the quality horses produced by AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeders. The Ranching Heritage Breeders program is designed to showcase the qualities of a working ranch horse by recognizing the top Ranching Heritage-bred horses competing at major competitions. The horse owner receives $250 and a specially created ranch-horse trophy, and the breeder also receives $250.
There is no formal entry to be eligible for the award. The horse must be bred by an AQHA Ranching Heritage Breeder and must be in the current owner’s name.
Is My Horse Eligible?
To find out if your horse was bred by a Ranching Heritage Breeder, review this list of Ranching Heritage Breeders.
Ranching Heritage-bred horses are also eligible to compete in AQHA Ranching Heritage Challenges once enrolled.
AQHA presented the Ranching Heritage-Bred Horse Award at the following events in 2019:
AQHA Cowboy Mounted Shooting World Championships – presented March 3 in Houston
AQHA Central Level 1 Championships – (amateur and youth), April 10-13, Oklahoma City
No winner – no eligible horses
Nutrena East AQHA Level 1 Championships – (amateur and youth), May 1-5, Wilmington, Ohio
- Amateur winner – Bigtime Holly, 2012 sorrel mare (Bigtime Favorite-Sixes Holly by Royal Fletch), owned by Katelynn Morgan Kemp, Indiana. Bred by Burnett Ranches LLC, Texas.
- No youth winner – no eligible horses
Ranch Horse Association of America Finals – May 9-12, Abilene, Texas
- Winner – I Do It Smooth, 2015 sorrel gelding (Cat Man Do-WR Smooth Lace by WR Smooth Whiskey), owned by Tripp Townsend, Texas. Bred by Gene and Helen Willingham, Texas.
- Youth winner – TRR Highbrow Gin, 2010 sorrel gelding (Sixes Pick-Lil Sand Doll by Smart Lil Highbrow. Ridden by Cooper McCleskey, owned and bred by Tongue River Ranch, Texas.
AQHA Level 1 Cattle Championships – (amateur and youth), June 18-23, Guthrie, Oklahoma
- Amateur winner – Lexy Hancock RAB, 2017 gray mare (Hesa Eddie Hancock-Shesa Eddie X Lady by Flying X 6), owned and bred by by Rob A Brown Stinnett, Texas.
- Youth winner – SS One Eyed Dualer, 2012 sorrel mare (WR One Eyed Jack-Dualing Sassy by Dauling Royalty), owned by Stanton Quarter Horses and bred by Silver Spur Operating Co LLC, Texas.
AQHA Versatility Ranch Horse World Championships – June 18-23, Guthrie, Oklahoma
- Winner - Bobbie Can Do, 2010 gray gelding (Cat Man Do-Bo Bobbie Socks by Mr Sorrel Bo), owened by Sidney Dunkel and bred by W T Waggoner Estates, Texas.
National Ranch and Stock Horse Alliance National Championship Show - June 18-23 Guthrie Oklahoma
- Winner - Ms Bacaco Snakeyes, 2012 brown mare (Mr Haida Flo-Becaco Snake Bite by Doctor Echo), owned by Francesca Jackson and bred by Beggs Cattle Co, Texas.
National Little Britches Rodeo Association Finals – July 2-7, Guthrie, Oklahoma
- Winner - Macs Blue Max, 2008 gray gelding (Blue Max Hancock-Tee J Misty Babe by Tee J Johnny Finger), owned by Gavon, Tammy and Landon Hutchinson and bred by Richard and Sherileen Spader of Rosendale, Missouri.
Texas State 4-H Show – July 21-27, Bryan, Texas
- Winner - Bobbie Can Do, 2010 gray gelding (Cat Man Do-Bo Bobbie Socks by Mr Sorrel Bo), owned by Sidney Dunkel and bred by W T Waggoner Estates, of Vernon, Texas.
Built Ford Tough AQHYA World Championship Show – August 1-10, Oklahoma City
- Winner - Survive These Lips, 2008 sorrel mare (CD Survivor-Lipschic by Smart Chic Olena), owned by Trevor Hale and bred by Holy Cow Performance Horses of Santa Ynez, California.
Colorado State 4-H Horse Show – August 22-25, Pueblo, Colorado
- Winner - Gem Of A Hickoryboon, 2011 bay mare (Cat Man Do-Bo Bobbie Socks by Mr Sorrel Bo), owned by Kirsten Ane Wood and bred by Stan and Nancy Weaver of Big Sandy, Montana.
Adequan® Select World Championship Show – August 27-31, Fort Worth
- Winner - Big Powdie Bars, 2010 red dun mare (Big Classic Wonder-Good As I Am by Big As I Am), bred and owned by Sid Miller of Stephenville, Texas.
AQHA West Level 1 Championships – September 25-29, Las Vegas
- Amateur Winner - RWS Cuttin Class, 2016 sorrel gelding (Young Pobre-Gingers Fancy Peppy by Mr Holliday Pep) shown by Adrianne Potwora of Eugene, Oregon, owned by Jacqueline Potwora of Eugene and bred by Georga Sutton of Gettysburg, South Dakota
- Amateur Winner - Border Patroller, 2009 sorrel gelding (Red Spotted Pup-Red Chili Mark by Red Mark Blanton), owned by Kristin Bullard of Casper, Wyoming nd bred by Carl Kent of San Jon Ranch at San Jon, New Mexico.
Oklahoma State 4-H Show – October 4-6, Tulsa, Oklahoma
- No winner – no eligible horses
National Reined Cow Horse Association Snaffle Bit Futurity – (open, non-pro and limited non-pro), October 6-19, Fort Worth
- Open Winner - Wooodya, 2016 sorrel mare (Woody Be Tuff-CR Dees Boon Meow), owned by Eric Frietas of Santa Maria,California, ridden by Justin Wright, bred by Center Ranch of Centerville, Texas
- Amateur Winner - CR Tuff Guns N Roses, 2016 sorrel gelding (Woody Be Tuff-Gypsy Rose Rey by Dual Rey), owned and shown by Abbie Phillips of Scottsdale, Arizona, and bred by Center Ranch of Centerville, Texas
- Limited Amateur Winner - DMR Natural Who, 2016 bay colt (Whodini-Natural Budha by Natural Enterprise), owned and shown by Jasper Patrick of Steamboat Springs, Colorado, and bred by Diamond M Ranch and Cattle Co. of Era, Texas.
American Rope Horse Futurity Association Rope Horse Futurity – (open and amateur), October 17-18, Fort Worth
- Open Winner - Trap This Cat, 2014 bay gelding (Trapper Bar Drop-Red Eyed Cat by Red Hot Hancock), owned by Blake Hirdes of Turlock, California, and bred by Holzum Quarter Horses of Oakdale, California
- Amateur Winner - Seven S Annalena, 2011 sorrel mare (Rey Boon Lena-Annie Gotta Real Gun by Real Gun), owned by Greg Presissinger of Granbury, Texas, and bred by Stuart Ranch of Waurika, Oklahoma
Lucas Oil AQHA World Championship Show – (open and amateur), November 7-23, Oklahoma City
- Open Winner - Moonshineandtwoadvil, 2014 bay gelding (Metallic Cat-Little Short Stuff by Shorty Lena), owned by Angela Massey of Louisville, Tennessee, shown by Shawn Hays, and bred by Wichita Ranch of Brenham, Texas.
- Amateur Winner - Trackapepto, 2009 red roan gelding (Peptoboonsmal-Love Tracker by DJ Tracker), owned by Jordan Lesh of Stillwater, Oklahoma, exhibited by Katie Lesh of Stillwater, Oklahoma, and bred by Cowan Select Quarter Horses of Havre, Montana
Working Ranch Cowboys Association World Championship Ranch Rodeo – November 7-10, Amarillo
- Winner - Ima Wynna RAB, 2012 gray gelding (PG Shogun-Right On Eddie RAB by Right On Tivio), bred and owned by Rob A. Brown, shown by JoJo Lemond
National Cutting Horse Association Futurity – (open, non-pro and amateur), November, Fort Worth
- Open Winner: CR Tuff Diggin Cat, 2016 black mare (Woody Be Tuff-Cat Digs Lucinda by High Brow Cat), bred and owned by Center Ranch.
- Non-Pro Winner: Tuff Catty Dual, 2016 chestnut gelding (Woody Be Tuff-ARC Catty Dual by Dual Pep), bred by Center Ranch, and owned by Erin Russell.
- Amateur Winner: Faithfulness, a 2016 sorrel mare (Metallic Cat-Smart Crackin Chic by Smart Chic Olena), bred by Singleton Ranches, and owned by Trey Fricke.
Stock Horse of Texas – 2019 Year-End Awards (overall winner) presented in 2020
- Winner - Boots Be Tuff, 2010 sorrel gelding (Woody Be Tuff-Pretty Poco Boots by Doc O Boots), bred by W.T. Waggoner Estate, owned and shown by Larry Walker
National Reined Cow Horse Association – 2019 Year-End Standings (open, non-pro, limited non-pro and youth) presented in 2020
- Open Bridle: Cuttin Wright Up, a 2011 bay gelding (Hes Wright On-Isabellena by Quejanaisalena), bred by Garth and Amanda Gardiner, and owned by David Beckett.
- Non-Pro Bridle: Electra Tuff, a 2012 sorrel gelding (Woody Be Tuff-Electras Boots by Doc O Boots), . bred by W.T. Waggoner Estate and owned by Paul and Amy Bailey.
- Intermediate Non-Pro Bridle: TI Smokum Plain Chic, a 2008 chestnut gelding (Smart Smokum Chic-Just Plain Bop by Just Plain Colonel), bred by Kenneth G. Jones and owned by Tom Lane or Andrea Otley.
- Youth Bridle: Pepe Le Wright, a 2012 bay gelding (Hes Wright On-Soula Jule Forever by Soula Jule Star), bred by Garth and Amanda Gardiner and owned by Kylie Haskins.