Educational Resources & Activities
Educational Resources & Activities
Need activities to keep your children busy? Download free educational resources and activities below!
Check us out on Facebook for more educational resources & activities coming your way!
National Day of the Cowboy
The American Quarter Horse Foundation invites you to celebrate the 10th annual National Day of the Cowboy, Saturday, July 25, 2020 from 10:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. online through the Hall of Fame & Museum’s Facebook page!
- Cowboy Snacks
- Create Your Own Horse
- Register Your Horse
- Create A Cowboy or Cowgirl
- Other Activities
- How to Make a Lasso
- How to Tie a Lasso
- Make a Puzzle with the American Quarter Horse Medallion
- Create Your Own Pattern
- If you are passing through Amarillo, take a tour around town to find American Quarter Horse statues with Center City’s Hoof Prints of the American Quarter Horse
OTHER EDUCATIONAL RESOURCES
- Take a virtual tour of the Hall of Fame & Museum, or go through the Museum’s website to view our past exhibits.
- Want to learn more and test your knowledge on horses? Check out AQHLearn for free courses!
EVENT ON FACEBOOK
Through the Hall of Fame & Museum’s Facebook page, prizes will be provided to the top 3 entries in the “Create A Cowboy/Cowgirl” crafts and “Create Your Own Horse” crafts from this page. A prize will also be awarded to the best video submission of a youth talking about being a cowboy or cowgirl in their best western-inspired outfit! Make sure to check Facebook for posts beginning July 22 through July 24 at 9:00 AM CST each day.
Plus, partners of the National Day of the Cowboy are proud to participate and provide great information regarding the cowboy and the American Quarter Horse lifestyle. Look forward to the following scheduled activities on Saturday, July 25, 2020:
- 10:00 a.m.
- Share photos of your favorite American Quarter Horse to show us you are ready to celebrate National Day of the Cowboy!
- Howdy from Chief Foundation Officer, Anna Morrison, and Celebrating National Day of the Cowboy with the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum.
- Howdy from AQHA Executive Vice President, Craig Huffhines, and Celebrating National Day of the Cowboy with the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum.
- 10:30 a.m.
- Listen to Cowboy Mike, Michael Grauer, from the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum for history about the American cowboy.
- Read ‘Em Cowboy story time with American Quarter Horse Foundation Trustee, Robin Merrill
- 11:00 a.m.
- Learn about the American Quarter Horse Youth Association from Director of Youth Development, Katie Reynolds.
- Create a sheriff’s vest with Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum.
- 11:30 a.m.
- Look inside a cowboy trunk from Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum.
- Listen to cowboy poetry presented by cowboy performing artist Red Steagall
- 12:00 p.m.
- Learn to tie a lasso presented by American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum
- Watch roping basics with Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum.
- 12:30 p.m.
- Make Cowboy Trail Mix with the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum
- Listen to American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame member Jim Jennings and learn about the history of the American Quarter Horse.
- 1:00 p.m.
- Create a Cattle Brand with the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum.
- Make a walking paper horse with the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum.
- 1:30 p.m.
- Watch Buster and Ranger from the Working Ranch Cowboys Association show you how to rope.
- Learn about horse shows with AQHA Chief Show Officer, Justin Billings
- 2:00 p.m.
- Listen to more cowboy poetry by cowboy performing artist Red Steagall
- Thank you for celebrating National Day of the Cowboy!
For more details and information, check out the American Quarter Horse Foundation’s Facebook page at facebook.com/aqhhalloffame!
About National Day of the Cowboy
The National Day of the Cowboy campaign was founded in 2004 to preserve, protect and promote the cowboy and our Western heritage. The campaign lobbied for the passage of the national resolution designating the fourth Saturday of every July a permanent celebration on the national calendar. The campaign believes in honoring cowboys and cowgirls for their enduring contribution and their courageous, pioneering American spirit. For more information on the scope of this day as a national event, go to nationaldayofthecowboy.com.
About the American Quarter Horse Foundation
The American Quarter Horse Foundation inspires people to discover and explore their passion for horses through the Hall of Fame & Museum. The Foundation brings the community together on National Day of the Cowboy to inspire and educate families and to help kids to discover their passion for the horse and Western lifestyle by giving them the opportunity to ride a horse for the first time. For more information about the Foundation, visit aqha.com/foundation.
If you have any questions regarding this event, please contact the Museum at 806-376-5181 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Explore the world of the Charro! Charros are skilled horsemen who proudly carry on early Mexican Traditions of roping, reining and the stewardship of horses and cattle.
Learn more about the American Quarter Horse by completing this word sheet and solving the puzzle!
Use the clues to place words into the crossword puzzle and learn more about the American Quarter Horse!
Test your mind in this American Quarter Horse word search by finding the words relating to the American Quarter Horse industry.
Learn how to trace your pedigree just like all registered American Quarter Horses have!
Print this activity out and cut out your horse to make it come to life!